UPDATE April 2013
Biogen’s BG-12 has been approved by the FDA and is now marketed under the name Tecfidera.
Google News reported 28 Feb 2012 that Biogen Idec has submitted for FDA approval for new drug to treat Multiple Sclerosis. The drug is known as BG-12 (Dimethyl Fuerate).
Multiple Sclerosis impacts more that 400, 000 people in the United states and over 2.5 million people worldwide. Biogen is submitting their drug for FDA approval. There are non drug Nrf2 activators on the market.
The Nrf2 pathway in the cells helps each cell fight oxidative stress (free radical damage) and promotes neuro-protective and anti-inflammatory properties in each and every cell. Oxidative stress has been linked to over 200 diseases including Multiple Sclerosis.
Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms:
Symptoms differ from person to person depending on which parts of the body have been impacted by the disease. Typically the brain and or the spinal chord loses Myelin negatively impacting the nervous system.
Symptoms include varying levels of:
- Increased body temperature
- Stillness of muscles (weakness, leg dragging, dropping things, heavy feeling, clumsy coordination (ataxia). Wheelchair may be needed in advanced cases.
- Difficulty thinking (lightheaded, vertigo)
- Visual problems (blurred vision, eyeball pain, blindness, double vision.
- Tingling, pins and needles electrical sensation in the back and legs
- Bladder problems (incontinence)
- Sexual dysfunction
- Cognitive and emotional problems (depression, anxiety, anger)
- Sleep deprivation